100 YEARS OF CLINICAL CARE IN FITZROY SQUARE
100 YEARS APPEAL
In 1904 the Princess Christian, a daughter of Queen Victoria, became patron of a fund to raise £10 000 for the purchase of new buildings on Fitzroy Square. She gathered an Appeal Committee including, among others, the Duchess of Bedford, the Countess Grosvenor and the Duchess of Wellington, and they raised the required funds in three years.
In 2004 the Hospital's Appeal is for considerably more than that. Changes to the provision of healthcare must be mirrored in the hospital building, and so alongside our desire to provide more modern and complex techniques comes the need for considerable redevelopment. This includes extensive remodelling of the operating theatre, provision of more single and double rooms, the introduction of x-ray equipment, and improved access, heating and ventilation.
The confirmation of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh as patron of the 100 Years Appeal continues the ongoing, and much appreciated, support that St. Luke's has received from the Royal Family for over a century.
It is hoped that the redevelopment work can be completed by 2007, an auspicious year for the Hospital. It was in July 1907 that Her Majesty Queen Alexandra officially opened St. Luke's Hospital for the Clergy. In 2007 the Hospital will be celebrating not only a refurbished and greatly improved building but also the centenary of it's official opening.
|St. Luke's Hospital
|14 Fitzroy Square, London W11 6AU
|Charity No: 209230